Saturday, June 14, 2008

Maine Motivation

That trip to Old Orchard & Portland the other day was great. We decided to end early by pulling in to a B&B in Freeport that we found on Windows Live Search (every BlackBerry needs it loaded). I recommend B&B's over hotels any time you get the chance.

The Kendall Tavern B&B (www.kendalltavern.com info@kendalltavern.com) innkeeper Tim Rudolph is an awesome guy and definitely a friend to motorcyclists. If it is raining, he has room in the barn for the bikes, a washer and (more importantly if you show up wet) dryer, and even though the need didn't arise, I'm sure he would have a towel handy in the morning to wipe the dew off your ride. He also has plenty of cool pictures and stories about missions he has been on in underdeveloped countries building schools and such for his church, but he isn't preachy or anything, just an all around great guy.

Freeport would be a great place to do a clover leaf tour from. One day out around Sebego Lake, one day just for Portland and Freeport (walking and shopping), and one for Damariscotta-Pemaquid-Rockland-Camden. The Kendall Tavern B&B has a special just for motorcyclists, stay two nights and get the third for 1/2 off. That puts it at ~$125/night which is right in respectable hotel range, but you get a kick-ass breakfast and a cool biker friendly joint.
We did part of that on the way home, we went through Damariscotta and out to Pemaquid, all along Route 1 except for the Pemaquid part. Had lunch right there at the lighthouse (next door) and just had a great time. Zipping along on the bike, beautiful weather... Good times. Good times.

As great as it was, the ride did leave me a little saddle sore. I haven't really gotten a chance to put many miles on the bike yet this season, and 100 miles a day for 3 days took It's toll (but it did get easier each day, just not the sore ass part). Practice, practice. One thing I had never noticed before, since I had Lisa on the back, I took it a little easier than I normally would have, and I would have (or ever have), and I got 39 mpg. That's WITH a passenger. I usually only get 36 mpg by myself, but I am usually a little heavier on the throttle.

Next time I'll tell you about the trip to Funtown.

Keep your stick on the ice...

1 comment:

Bored Housewife said...

I like it when you keep your stick in my ice...

Happy Father's Day to the man who gave me back my faith in fatherhood. Your boys are lucky to have you and mine will be so blessed to join this happy life!