Thursday, August 7, 2008

$150 Lunch

Every parent knows that kids will suck the life right out of you, and then they'll go for your wallet.
My immediate family recently went from 3 (myself and my two boys, and they are only here from August to February) to 6 (Lisa and her 8 year old twins are OFFICIALLY moving in), now everything costs 4 times as much, don't bother trying to do the math, you'd need a degree in it, let me just say it's exponential.

I have friends visiting from Galway, NY, and we thought it would be fun to go out to one of the local islands and explore. We chose Vinalhaven since it has a nature preserve and the most restaurants within walking distance (and the ferry tickets were cheaper than Monhegan, we thought). I saw a web page that said tix were $9 and that seemed ok, but when we got there they were $16! The prices went up in earlier this summer, so for Lisa and I, twin 8 year olds who got childrens tix, and a 13 year old and a 15 year old who were counted as adults, it cost $78. OUCH! Then lunch cost another $76 for food that was pretty average, good looking burger but crab roll and lobster rolls were below par, especially for two things billed as an island favorites on the menu boards.

The island was a treat though, and Lisa and I plan to go back without the kids and take our bikes to explore the island further,
but we'll probably pack a lunch.

Catch you guys later, I need to go clean up cat puke.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like islands. That's why I live on one.