Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's about time.

I've been working the overnight shift these past two nights, and when I'm working the hoist I find my mind wandering, not so much that I need to worry about crushing someone if I'm distracted, but I do get to think about things that wouldn't normally cross my mind.

Tonight it's pretty obvious. Congratulations to the country I know can be great. I, along with the majority of my state and my nation, elected the first black man to lead what might be the most powerful nation in the free world. Now we are not only the nation which SAYS anyone can be president, we have shown it.
When Barack Obama was born his parents marriage was considered illegal in 16 states.
I welcome the rest of my nation to the world that I live in. Even at this historic hour I am amazed at the reactions of some people. I'm sure they thought, "Oh, sure, he can RUN for president, but he'll never get elected.", believing that the majority of the country must surely feel the same as they do. Well, they are about to realize that we are all human, and we all want this country to be as great as we imagine it can be.

Personally, I see this as a time to rebuild our reputation as a moderate ally to the world. We are not the world police, we are not nation builders. We want the world to enjoy the freedom of democracy, but we don't need to cram it down anyones pie-hole. If people need our help, all they need do is ask, but we should not rush in uninformed. Enough of blind policies and hidden agendas. I feel like my country had been hijacked by the outgoing administration. Those bastards are no better than sheisty used car salesmen, telling us what we wanted to hear and peddling junk to those of us too scared to question them. A new day is dawning and the immensity of hope I have for what is to come fills me to satisfaction that closely rivals my joy at being a dad or the way my heart beats for my true love.
This is a little different from last night when I found myself remembering my time in the Navy, and the way the people of Japan treated me. Japan is a divided country when it comes to how it feels about America. There is a dividing line at a certain age, if you are young, you love western culture and realize what an ally the U.S. is and if you are older you probably still hold a grudge for those two bombs we dropped on you like a slap in the face. I can't say I wouldn't hold a grudge if I was in their place so it is a little understandable. But I'd just like to say that I didn't drop those bombs that may have killed some of your ancestors, but I DID serve on an operation which probably prevented some of your descendants from getting bombs dropped on them, so if you see me in your beautiful country of Japan you don't have to say "thank you" but it would be nice if you bought me a beer.
As it turns out I rather like Asahi Super Dry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was good to see so many people take an interest in politics. Hopefully ours will be similar this weekend.

Lisa said...

You give me chills, baby.
Let's ride this wave, as we finish out the Best Year Ever!!!!!!!!!





I love you.